Guest post by Jess from Lazy Girl Fitness
It’s no secret that training by yourself can feel like a bit of a chore. Let’s face it, there’s usually approximately 789 things you can think of that would be preferable to hitting up the weights room by yourself.
If that sounds like you and you struggle to get yourself out of bed and to the gym/park/backyard for a session, then group training (or even just a training partner) could be exactly what you need.
Yep, there are a lot of benefits to training withothers, and here are my top five:
- Accountability – just as it’s expected that you’ll turn up for the run you planned with your best friend, committing to group training is just that – a commitment. Trade your training partner session in for an extra 30 minutes of doona time and you’re likely to cop a piece of someone’s mind, and whether it’s your trainer or your bestie, we wouldn’t want to be in your shoes.
- Motivation – we all feel a little bit lazy at times, but having someone there to spur you on to three more reps/two more kilometres/a final minute is exactly what you need to see some serious results. Plus it means there’s someone there to high-five you when you’re done!
- Healthy Competition – let’s face it, most of us have a competitive streak. Whether it’s a trait you wear like a badge of honour (like me) or something you prefer to keep hidden underneath layers of nonchalance, it’s in there somewhere. So when your trainer urges you to lift the pace for the final km of your run, you know you’re going to do it.
- Social Occasion – with most people working long hours and/or commuting long distances, finding time to exercise AND catch up with friends can be tough. Group training can be a great way to meet new people who already have something in common with you – they’re committed to their health! Just make sure you don’t get so caught up in the chatter that you forget what you’re there for.
- Expertise and Fresh Ideas – when you’re training alone it’s easy to get stuck in an exercise rut. You do the same thing each session, because you don’t have the knowledge (or the inclination) to try something new. But when you add a trainer into the mix suddenly you’ve got a certified expert who knows exactly what to do to get you the results you want!
If you’re struggling for motivation, group training could be just what you need. There are sessions running in most areas, just hit up Google and your social media networks to put the feelers out!
If you want to train with Jess, the next Lazy Girl Fitness 6-Week Challenge kicks off in Waverley Park, Bondi on November 3rd.
The challenge includes:
Small all-female group
eBook of recipes, tips & at-home workouts
Gift pack featuring local brands & some of my fave products